Bank Information

Contact Us

Send us your feedback

GSB branch  web

Consumer Alerts

Don't Fall Victim to Online Scams

Your security is important to us. Here at Greer State Bank we want to provide tools and resources to help prevent identity theft and educate you on security. 

What is “Phishing”?
Phishing is a high-tech scam that uses spam or pop-up messages to attempt to deceive you into disclosing your credit card numbers, bank account information, Social Security number, passwords, and/or other sensitive information.

What is “Spoofing”?
On the Internet, usually an email or a website that pretends to be something it is not. 

How to report Phishing
We suggest reporting phishing emails or spoofed websites to the following groups:

  • Forward the email to the Federal Trade Commission at
  • Forward the email to the "abuse" email address at the company that is being spoofed.
  • When forwarding spoofed messages, always include the entire original email with its original header information intact.
  • Notify the Internet Crime Complaint Center of the FBI by filing a complaint of their

Recommended Actions if You’ve Become a Victim of a Phishing Scam:

If You Have Given Out Your Credit, Debit, or ATM Card Information

  • Report the incident to the card issuer as quickly as possible.
  • Report using toll-free numbers and 24-hour services that many companies have established to deal with such emergencies.
  • Request your card issuer close your compromised account number and reissue a new card with a different number.
  • Monitor your account activity and review account statements carefully after the information loss.
  • If any unauthorized charges appear, call the card issuer immediately and follow up with a hard copy letter via a traditional delivery service such as the U.S. Postal Service (keep a copy for yourself) describing each questionable charge.

If You Have Given Out Your Bank Account Information

  • Report the theft of this information to the Bank as quickly as possible.
  • Request that the compromised account be closed and re-opened as a new account with a different number.

If You Have Given Out Your Personal Identification Information

If you believe you have given out personal information such as your name, address, and Social Security Number to someone who may use it for fraud, contact the three major credit reporting agencies - Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion - and do the following:
  • Request that the agencies place a fraud alert and a victim's statement in your file.
  • Request a free copy of your credit report to check whether any accounts were opened without your consent.
  • Request that the agencies remove inquiries and/or fraudulent accounts stemming from the theft.

Major Credit Bureaus

Equifax -

  • To order your report, call:             800-685-1111       or write: P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241.
  • To report fraud, call:             800-525-6285       and write: P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241.
  • Hearing impaired call:             800-255-0056       and ask the operator to call the Auto Disclosure Line at             800-685-1111       to request a copy of your report.

Experian -

  • To order your report, call: 888-EXPERIAN (397-3742) or write: P.O. Box 2002, Allen, TX 75013.
  • To report fraud, call: 888-EXPERIAN (397-3742) and write: P.O. Box 9530, Allen, TX 75013.

Trans Union -

  • To order your report, call:             800-888-4213       or write: P.O. Box 1000, Chester, PA 19022.
  • To report fraud, call             800-680-7289       and write: Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92634.

Additional Actions to Take

  • If bank accounts were set up without your consent, close them.
  • Contact your local police department to file a criminal report.
  • Contact the Social Security Administrator's Fraud Hotline to report the unauthorized use of your personal identification information.
  • Notify the Department of Motor Vehicles of your identity theft.
  • Check to see whether an unauthorized driver's license number has been issued in your name.
  • Notify the passport office to be on the lookout for anyone ordering a passport in your name.
  • File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. Ask for a free copy of "ID Theft: When Bad Things Happen in Your Good Name," a guide that will help you guard against and recover from your theft - and guard against it in the future.
  • File a compliant with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) by visiting their IC3 is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C), with a mission to address fraud committed over the Internet. For victims of Internet fraud, the Center provides a convenient and easy-to-use reporting mechanism that alerts authorities of a suspected criminal or civil violation.
  • Document the names and phone numbers of everyone you speak to regarding the incident. Follow up your phone calls with letters. Keep copies of all correspondence.

Identity Theft Resources